Note: This is the old Totin
Chip test. A new test based on information in the new handbook will be
used after September first, 1999.
1. Sharpen your knife on an oiled _____________________.
2. Hold the blade at a _____ degree angle to the whetstone.
3. How many hands are used to properly close a knife?____________________.
4. Don’t carry a knife with the _________ open.
5. Close the _________ before handing the knife to a friend.
6. Cut __________ from you to prevent injury.
7. Keep your knife dry, __________, and ___________ at all times.
8. List eight of the 14 areas of an ax.
9. How do you fix a loose ax head? ____________________________________
10. When honing an ax rub a dry ____________ against the ax blade in
a ________________ motion.
11. What does bucking a log mean?
12. What is the procedure for filing an ax?
13. Safe cutting with an ax requires clearance of an area at least
how far all around?
14. List two reasons for not driving an ax into the ground.
15. How many people are allowed in an ax yard at any time?
16. When an ax is not in use, what should be done with the blade?
17. Describe the contact method for chopping a stick.
18. Describe the contact method for splitting a stick.
19. Ax safety: _________ when you are tired. __________
it when not in use. When passing an ax to
someone, hold the handle near the _____________
with the _______________ down.
20. A saw will cut wood __________ as fast as an ax.
21. Hold the wood ___________ in place and use _____________, smooth
22. When you have ____________ to clear a campsite of saplings, saw
them off just above ____________.
23. Name two kinds of camp saws.
24. What kind of file is used to sharpen a saw?
25. Write the Outdoor Code and explain what it means.
Each question = 4 pts.
75 pts. to pass/100 points possible.
Have you completed the test? Do you think you have passed.
Alright. Then it is time to get the answers!
Totin Chip Answer Page
For a PDF version of this test:
I also wish to take the Firem'n Chit Test.
Take me there!