Melrose Boy Scout Troop 68 Forum Forum Index Melrose Boy Scout Troop 68 Forum
Melrose Boy Scout Troop 68 Message Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Go Sports

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Melrose Boy Scout Troop 68 Forum Forum Index -> Scouting Message Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Enrico

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:56 pm    Post subject: Go Sports Reply with quote

So, I'm reading the beacon, and it says that Boys tennis is suspended for this spring. Oja told me a month or so ago that football numbers are way down. Wrestling is pretty much non existant from what I read. What the crap is going on? What is happening to our high school sports programs? Do kids not care anymore? Mikey, you have an idea?
SteveB
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard that numbers are down in many sports, just like they are in Scouting. The traveling teams seem to be doing well yet.
The master of all!
Mike L

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:11 am    Post subject: sports Reply with quote

Well,

1. Rural schools across MN have declining enrollment. We have had a large Latino influx that has delayed the process by a number of years. Most area of the state wouldn't have Sauk, Melrose and Albany all have schools. There would only be one. The suburbs are the same way. Sauk and Melrose have already started the combination of sports: swimming, hockey, and track will be soon combined. The area cannot support three schools. Look at the hospitals already. Ever been to the Albany one? It's like going back to civil war surgery.

2. Inclusiveness. Traveling teams have numbers because athletes don't realize the pecking order yet. You don't strive to win really. It's a nice bonus, but winning isn't that important. That, and the threat of being cut isn't apparent yet. (It never happens, but the thought of it is real.) Plus, everyone plays, so everyone wants to participate.

3. The people. We are not the Blake and Brecks of the world. Our students aren't very active on the whole. There are a bunch of 2 and 3 sports athletes, but specializing is rare and let's face it, those kids who stay in Melrose aren't exactly those who were involved in 2 sports, a musical, 4H or scouts. They then have kids who aren't active. The brain drain of the the excellent are moving to the urban areas for the opportunities. There simply aren't enough science, technology, engineering and mathematics jobs in rural areas, i.e. careers that require forward, creative thinking, so people move.

4. As for other activities, they suffer from a lack of interest, expertise and wealth. 4H, Boy Scouts, and FFA don't market their product enough to drum up interest. Without extra funding to get the word out, the programs slowly lose numbers. A lack of experts/professionals in the music program make it less competitive. These non-athletic activities don't have the visibility in the local Beacon, St. Cloud Times, local TV news or everyday interactions with people.

5. Terrible parents are ruining it. The high school football team has been pulled apart by low-level players wishing to play. They feel entitled to play because they have: A-1 gear, summer camps, etc, even though they're terrible. Parents talk to coaches, the stands get ugly and the team aspect is lost. A quarterback controversy was very alive this year from what I've been told. This puts pressure on better than average players because of how awkward/not fun it is, so they quit.

6. Not enough high-level players. In less disadvantaged areas, read Minneapolis North, South Chicago, students must find a way out. In the 50s it was poor jewish kids wishing to play baseball. In the 80s, it was poor black kids from Florida wanting to play football. In the 90s, it was immigrant latino populations wishing to play baseball. Melrose has rural, largely not terribly ambitious white kids who are comfortable with their slower pace of life. Jobs aren't abundant, but they can find low paying full-time jobs. There isn't enough competition. If kids had to prove themselves or fail, football would have 900 kids in it. It's the most visible and the highest chance of landing a collegiate scholarship (education free or not, depends), and then a career from networking, exposure or becoming a professional. This transcends sports. If getting an Eagle scholarship is the only key, we'd have more Eagle Scouts, period.

7. Professionalism. Do we have a strong connection to the St. Johns boys choir and then to Ms. Osterberg? No. Do we have any band members on the St. Paul Chamber? No. Any professional athletes right now? No. Better yet, any division 1 athletes? Not anymore. Or highly successful Eagle Scouts? Well, not yet. A community must be built from the 5 year olds starting an activity or sport and continue through ongoing professionals and into a greater alumni network. This feeling of tradition, obligation and achievement simply isn't there. For many Melrose students, playing high school football is the highlight of their lives. They'll talk about that 4th quarter in the section finals forever and connect to others who've done the same. That feeling in musicals and 4H/Boy Scouts isn't that terribly strong. The problem is, the most successful people who have this professional grade are leaving. See #3.

There's more, but I should get back to work.
Enrico

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike -

1) - I hope you didnt' think I was sergio, because that's just rude. jk.

2) - I think you make some excellent points. I would have this to offer :

a) Money - I know you've alluded to this, but since we are all smaller schools, then we are more affected by budget cuts, etc. I know this would suck, because I feel like Albany and Sauk are our rivals, but we really need to merge all the school sports together, and label the schools as Central Minnesota High School, Middle School, etc, and use each existing school as a "hub" if you will for academic needs. But if we combine things like Sports, Arts, etc, it would give us stronger programs. Yes, it would probably move us up in the Rankings for competition, but this might be a good thing. You could run all the sports at Melrose too because it's right in the center of all the action.
b) Laziness - I know, again Mike, you've alluded to this, but kids are so lazy these days. What gets me the most is they are like "I don't have enough time for extra-curriculars." That's ridiculous. There is tons of time in High School to participate. We were all in extra-curriculars, plus scouting, plus jobs. In fact, I'm pretty sure we were all very active in scouting until we turned 16-17 years old, which, I'm sure Steve would agree with, that a lot of scouts aren't as heavily active. If memory serves correctly, I think that Tom Hanson, the Spoodens, Jay, etc, were all like that. I think kids would rather play sports on the Wii, than in real life. I remember I was on a story at a school once, and I asked some kids what they like to do. One kid was like "I love playing tennis and golf." I said really, where do you play at? He said on the Wii. Amazing. And for those who argue that the Wii gets you a good "aerobic workout," - I highly disagree. Go to track practice with Mike, or do a training session with me on how I lost all that weight, and I thinkt hey will differ.
c) lack of competition - kids have no sense of competition anymore. They are always taught, "it's alright, you tried your best." This works in some scenarios, but it shouldn't in all. By not teaching our kids to go out and win at competition, we make them feel like it's alright to lose at everything, which it's not.

Just some thoughts from my end of the spectrum.
Sergio

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rico, why'd you think Mike thought you were me?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i coulda sworn that he wrote "power serge" instead of "well" to start off his post. guess i wasn't all there when I wrote it.
Chris

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He started it with Power Serge, he must have gone back and changed it. I also saw the Power Serge.
Dakota M

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more thing to add a lot of the coachs put way to much pressure on the students. The reason baseball numbers are way down is becouse Mr. Rushmere is constanly yelling and people don't want to put up with that everyday. Same with football and a lot of the other coachs. The whole aspect of winning has taken all the fun out of the sports which is fine in college but high school should be more about having fun and learning the game.
Mike L

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typo.

Quote:
One more thing to add a lot of the coachs put way to much pressure on the students.

I think this summarizes the entire question Enrico. End of argument.

Rural kids never succeed in sports or much in the business world because they aren't pushed enough. CEOs of Fortune 500 companies aren't rural kids nor are NBA players.

The reason the gymnastics team is consistently strong is because they're pushed so much. Girls quit because it's "too hard." It's not too difficult, it's just most rural athletes are weak, period. Either they go to state or quit.

Little guy football and middle school is when sports are "fun" when playing/winning/getting better doesn't matter. And you know what? It isn't fun for those who are exceptional. I remember having to sit on the bench in basketball when some random 6'4" kid couldn't score a point.

I watch Dutchman games and meets and I'm rather ashamed because of the acceptance of defeat and lack of motivation.

And you know how I know I'm so sure?

Because every one of my teammates weren't rural.

That and EVERY coach I've talked to in Melrose has agreed with me.
Chris

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add to the gymnastics team doing well every year. It is also the swimming teams that to pretty well. As one of my sisters is in both swimming and gymnastics. I know that they practice at least an additional hour more than the other sports do every day. Most sports were done practicing by a little after 5 whereas swimming and gymnastics they usually practice until a little after 6. My other sister was in volleyball and in basketball golf and tennis all of these sports only practiced until 5 and I know none of these practices were taken very seriously unlike the swimming and gymnastics practices.
Mike L

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would argue similar, but no.
Swimming sends people to state, they don't win as a team.
Very different beasts.

I do agree that more practice = more competitive.
Hockey in the suburbs have practices at 6:00 or 7:00 AM and PM. (edit)

While we do have to get kids "home for chores," it's a dedication issue. I remember being the last person at track practice every day.
I was in Lil Abner, and those who were there until late usually looked and acted better on stage.

Look at it this way, how many vigil members do we have from Order of the Arrow?

It's not just athletics. It's just easier to take the slow path, the "fishin hole" and taking 2 days off for deer hunting each year.

Looking back, I find it laughable.
I had friends quit Boy Scouts because other members and leaders would "push them" to advance. To what? Star? Really? Is that so hard?

They're just soft, period.
Sergio

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to say something off topic, but I enjoyed Mike in Lil Abner. That was a good time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Melrose Boy Scout Troop 68 Forum Forum Index -> Scouting Message Board All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: